Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Father’s Day Gift Suggestions

After sifting through almost 400 Father’s Day gift suggestions, I’m happy to see that Dads are being focused on after all. (My initial impression was that dads got the short end of the stick holiday-wise.)

Honestly, when it comes to getting gifts for the men in my life, I usually get them something that they have recently mentioned in casual conversation that they wanted or needed. If they haven’t mentioned anything lately, I just ask. (I started this practice after getting Kangols and Old Spice for my own dad year after year until he protested. Me: “You were the one who asked me for them. I thought that you liked them.” Him: “Yes, I did, but that was many years ago. I do like them…just not every year!” Point taken.) This year, I bought my dad a gift card to Macy’s. (He has very specific tastes in clothes – he’s a “Dapper Don”. So, if he doesn’t tell me specifically what he wants clothing-wise, I let him choose for himself!)

My husband mentioned that he needs some new pants, so I also bought him a gift card to Macy’s. I’m going to go shopping with him though as a part of his gift, because he’s one of those people who won’t ever use their gift cards! In addition, I’m creating a photo/video montage as a gift for him with the boys. I’m using One True Media to create it. They gave me a trial Premium Subscription to test out the site and it’s so easy to use! You simply upload your photos and video, add music and any other effects that you desire and you’re done. (I’m writing this on here, because my husband doesn’t read my blog without asking first!) I’m going to turn the montage into a gift DVD. (You can also e-mail it, post it on social media sites or send it to TiVo so it can be watched on TV.) Basic membership to One True Media is free (while premium membership is $3.99/month or $39.99/year) making this a great gift idea. I’ll post the montage on the blog after my husband sees it first.

Okay, so that’s it for the dads in my life, since my husband is getting his father’s gift. Below are two more tech gift ideas that I wanted to highlight. (I’ve seen them, but I don’t own them.)

1. Motorola TALKABOUT® MR350R Radios
($79.99 per pair): Active dads will enjoy these two-way radios that are best suited for outdoor use. That is where you will see the best range (they have a range of 35 miles). The radios also come with NOAA weather alerts, an Emergency alert button and many other features. (I’m thinking of some of my “outdoorsy” guy friends who would love this – especially since summer vacation camping/trips are right around the corner.)

motorola

2. Vue personal video network ($299.99): Earlier this year, I was able to see a preview of this system at an Editor’s Showcase. It is a wire-free video system that can be used on a daily basis. With it, dads will be able to see their families from practically anywhere. (When I initially saw it, I thought that it would be a great purchase for parents who are away from their families a lot for business or other reasons.) What I especially like about it is that it’s simple. You just set up the cameras, plug an Internet connection into the back of the Gateway and start viewing. There are no wires and no software to set up, so it’s easy to use no matter how tech savvy you are (or are not!). The Vue will be shipping soon, but you can pre-order now in order to be one of the first people to experience it.

vue

No comments: