Friday, January 16, 2009

Public School Policy Problem

Like many other NYC moms, I received a postcard from the NYC Department of Education in the mail yesterday. It listed key dates for Kindergarten admissions.

Basically, families need to apply in person between January 12 and March 2 at every school they are interested in having their child attend for kindergarten, including their zoned school. (Even if your child is attending pre-k at the desired school, you need to apply again for Kindergarten.) Families will be notified about their assignment offers in mid-March and pre-register at their schools between March 16th and April 13th. (You can get more information on their site.)

Personally, I have no idea what to do. My dilemma is that we’re moving in the summer in order to be in a better school district for the fall. Should I just take my chances and pray that there will be an open spot in our future zoned school? Why is the NYC public school system so difficult - or is it just me?!

I refuse to stress myself out about this. Worst case scenario, I’ll homeschool Michael for Kindergarten and enroll him in a few group classes for socialization purposes (he’s such a social little boy!). One of my friends (an assistant principal in NYC) pointed out that Kindergarten is not mandatory in NYC anyway.

No comments: